PILI's 2024 Theme: Empowered to Advocate
PILI’s mission is to engage, inspire and empower those advancing equal access to justice. For our 2024 theme, we are focusing on how we empower. We empower law students, lawyers, and legal professionals to advocate for others. And we empower our clients to advocate for themselves.
But what does this look like? How do we empower to advocate, so we can advance equal access to justice within our legal system?
At PILI, we approach this question from a comprehensive perspective, drawing on all the resources of the Illinois legal community to fill in the gaps in the delivery of legal services:
- We empower law students to pursue careers in public interest law, serving hundreds of clients at dozens of agencies across the state every year.
- We empower recent law school graduates to begin their legal career with a foundation built on helping others.
- We empower lawyers and legal professionals to take on pro bono opportunities to meet community legal needs.
- We empower law firms and corporate legal departments to build and support robust pro bono programs.
- We empower everyone in the legal community to be advocates for pro bono legal services to their colleagues and networks.
We also empower our clients in their civil legal matters. Our clients are veterans, parents of children with disabilities, seniors, immigrants, and more. They are individuals, families, and communities in cities, suburbs, and rural areas in every part of Illinois. Clients are served by PILI’s pro bono volunteers, or by PILI Interns and Fellows at our partner public interest law organizations. We empower them with accurate legal information; with resources and tools they can use; with pro bono attorneys to answer their questions and provide help as needed; and with representation, advocacy or policy efforts. Every year, thousands of clients are served through PILI’s programs, and that number is only growing.
If you are a law student, lawyer or legal professional who wants to be a part of expanding access to justice, PILI can empower you to use your skills and expertise to make a difference in your community. And if you’re a person with unmet legal needs, PILI can empower you to get the legal help you need and the justice you deserve. Learn more about how our Law Student Internship, Graduate Fellowship, Alumni Network, and Pro Bono Programs are empowering others in achieving greater access to justice. You can also read about volunteer opportunities and how to get involved with PILI or make a donation to support our work today!
Learn more about how our Law Student Internship, Graduate Fellowship, Alumni, and Pro Bono Programs are engaging, inspiring and empowering the Illinois legal community to work collaboratively to increase access to justice.
SAVE THE DATE: Join PILI at one of our events in 2024:
- April 12, 2024: YPB Arcade for Legal Aid
- June 26, 2024: Annual Pro Bono Reception
- December 11, 2024: Annual Awards Luncheon
Check out our entire listing of upcoming programs and events
For more information about PILI, our work and how you can support us, please contact PILI's Executive Director, Michael Bergmann, by email or at 312-832-5129.