Pro Bono Opportunities
PILI provides a variety of pro bono opportunities for lawyers, law students and legal professionals across the state of Illinois. While there is a robust legal aid and pro bono network in Cook County, there are far fewer resources outside of Chicago to help those in need in the remaining 101 counties of the state. We focus on filling gaps left by this lack of resources by working closely with existing legal aid programs, bar associations and other stakeholders to develop targeted pro bono opportunities to serve those who would not otherwise receive legal help.
If you are a client looking for services, you must reach out to your local legal aid office for assistance. Learn more at www.IllinoisLegalAid.org »
Currently, several of our pro bono opportunities are limited to a few locations, but we are always striving towards equal access to justice across Illinois and adding more opportunities. Learn more and volunteer:
- Illinois Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal clinic where low-income Illinois residents can submit a question online to ask a lawyer for help with a civil legal issue.
- Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network (IL-AFLAN) provides civil legal services across Illinois to veterans, active duty military and their spouses and dependents and as an IL-AFLAN member, PILI refers pro bono matters in the 101 counties outside of Cook County.
- Legal Help Within Reach recruits attorneys and law students from urban areas to volunteer at free legal clinics in rural and underserved communities.
- Self-Represented Litigant Help Desks utilize volunteers to meet with self-represented litigants for 30-minute appointments to help them understand and navigate the legal process, fill out forms and answer questions. Volunteer shifts are currently available at the Champaign, Macon, Madison, Peoria and Tazewell County Courthouses.
- Conflict of Interest Pro Bono Referral Panel provides a referral source for participating legal aid agencies to send potential clients who have been denied service due to a conflict of interest. Cases are currently being placed in Marshall, Peoria, Stark and Tazewell Counties.
- Legal Prep Community Law Clinic is a monthly community-based clinic at Legal Prep Charter Academies in the Garfield Park neighborhood of Chicago that is staffed by PILI Alumni volunteers.
Please use the form below to register for PILI pro bono opportunities. If you have any questions, please contact PILI Senior Managing Attorney Brent Page by email or by phone at 312-832-5128.