Looking to secure a legal aid, public interest law or government position during or after law school? This complimentary program is for law students who are interested in learning more about opportunities as volunteers, interns, externs, fellows or staff in the public interest law sector in the St. Louis market. This program is co-sponsored by Saint Louis University School of Law and Washington University in St. Louis School of Law.
Advance registration is required to receive the Zoom link for this event.
- 12:30 pm: Opening Session & Keynote Address
- Public interest lawyers are uniquely positioned to make a real difference in the lives of people, families and communities in need. Hear from an attorney who has dedicated their career to helping others reflect on what access to justice means, the times our community is in today, and the biggest challenges the public interest law community faces.
- 1:00 – 2:00 pm: Panel Presentation – Opportunities in the Public Interest Sector
- Panelists from a cross-section of the public interest law sector will describe their career paths, talk about the rewards and challenges of a public interest law career, and offer suggestions about how to best pursue your path within the public interest law sector.
- 2:00 – 2:15 pm: BREAK
- 2:15 – 3:15 pm: Panel Presentation – Planning & Structuring Your Public Interest Job Search
- Hear from a variety of public interest law organizations about standing out as an intern, extern and fellow, and what you can be doing now to strengthen your postgraduate applications. You will hear suggestions for cover letters, resumes and interviewing, and strategies for making the most of the experience once you secure one of these positions.
- 3:15 – 3:45 pm: What I Wish I Knew About Life as a Public Interest Lawyer
- Can I survive on a public interest salary? Is student loan forgiveness a real thing? Will I be able to take a vacation? In our closing session, hear stories and practical advice about how to transition from law student to public interest lawyer.
Interested in public interest law sector opportunities in the Chicago market? PILI will host another Explore the Possibilities program in Chicago on Saturday, September 30th. Learn more and register »
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Arthur Surratt by email or by phone at 312-832-5130.