The Immigration Project is a nonprofit organization that provides high quality immigration legal services in Central and Southern Illinois. We are the principal provider of non-profit immigration legal services in our service area which encompasses 86 counties. We are staffed by experienced immigration attorneys and Department of Justice Representatives as well as professional, social service advocates. We recognize that access to accurate, complete information regarding immigration law is geographically and economically restricted for underserved, immigrant populations in downstate Illinois. The Immigration Project strives to provide access to justice for immigrants and their families through immigration-related legal and educational services to immigrants, refugees, their families, and others in downstate Illinois, in a manner and context which recognizes the full dignity of each individual. We believe that immigrants are essential members of our community, and that helping all members of a community strengthens it as a whole.
Fellows and interns will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities central to the practice of immigration law. These responsibilities may include:
- Co-counseling Immigration Cases with licensed advocates in our office including preparing federal litigation involving cases pending for more than a year
- Legal issue-spotting both in the substantive case-work, but also through consultations
- Writing legal briefs and memos
- Statement development, interview preparation, form assistance, and other tasks related to preparing client applications
- Assisting attorneys with legal clinics remote and/or in-person
- Assistance in Developing and researching ways to expand our services to help those seeking admission at a U.S. border or in detention centers
If you are interested in an opportunity with The Immigration Project (in-person or remote), please apply through the guidelines set out by the program in which you are applying. If you are not applying through a PILI fellowship or internship, please see our website for additional opportunities to assist our neighbors.
This agency is approved to host a Law Student Intern during the summer. They are also approved to host Graduate Fellows.