The Third Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committee is hosting this event to commemorate Pro Bono Week, recognize the efforts local pro bono volunteers and celebrate its Pro Bono Service Award Recipient. The celebration video will premiere on Tuesday, October 26th at 12:00 p.m.
2021 PRO BONO SERVICE AWARD RECIPIENT: JANEL FREEMAN
Janel began her career working with victims of domestic violence for Land of Lincoln Legal Aid out of their Alton office. Currently, she runs a private practice in Edwardsville, Illinois. Janel is a reliable practitioner and can be called upon at any time to serve as Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) or mediator or counsel in the most challenging of family cases and juvenile abuse matters. She always makes time in her schedule and has never balked, even in the most difficult of circumstances. Colleagues have emphasized that Janel serves with kindness and compassion and has had a profoundly impactful career in Madison County. She graduated from SIU-Carbondale School of Law in 2002, after receiving her undergraduate degree from the University of Iowa in Political Science and Psychology.
Through the below pro bono opportunities, you can provide critically needed legal services to individuals and families in need in the Third Judicial Circuit. We hope you will get involved and also help spread the word!
- A project of the American Bar Association, Illinois Free Legal Answers was created to increase access to advice and information about non-criminal legal matters for those who cannot afford legal assistance. It is a virtual walk-in legal clinic administered by PILI. Learn more »
- Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network (IL-AFLAN) provides civil legal services across Illinois to veterans, active duty military and their spouses and dependents. As an IL-AFLAN member, PILI refers pro bono matters to volunteer attorneys in the 101 counties outside of Cook County. Learn more »
- Through PILI’s Pro Bono Mentorship Program, volunteer attorneys who lack experience in a particular area of law will be paired with a more experienced attorney for advice and counsel to ensure competent representation of pro bono clients. Learn more »
- Many opportunities exist for volunteers to assist Land of Lincoln clients through direct representation, counsel and advice, document preparation, and clinic settings. Learn more »
- Through the Madison County Legal Advice Clinic, volunteer attorneys provide no cost legal advice to low-income Madison County residents. Learn more »
- Catholic Charities Legal Services assists people with little to no income in obtaining pro bono legal assistance from area attorneys in specialized fields while also providing compassion, empathy, and a listening ear to all who come seeking help. Learn more »
- Dispute Resolution Institute provides mediation services both in and out of the Illinois court system. Volunteer opportunities include both mediation and non-mediation opportunities. Learn more »