Dear friends and supporters:
2022 is PILI’s 45th anniversary, and we are celebrating with the theme “Take the Initiative!” Our founders envisioned a more equitable legal system with greater access to justice for all. We’re not only honoring that vision but doing more than ever to realize it with support from donors like you.
Our Law Student Internship Program began with PILI’s founding in 1977 and was followed by our Graduate Fellowship Program in 1983. These programs remain at the center of our work and provide the entryway for new generations of lawyers to learn about and commit to public interest law and pro bono service.
- We’ve taken the initiative over the last year to fund 16 school-year Interns and 47 summer Interns, who generated an additional 22,000 hours of legal services. We also supported 52 Graduate Fellows who generated another 15,600 hours of legal services across Illinois.
- More than just a funding source for our Interns, PILI provides significant educational, networking and service opportunities for our Interns and Fellows while ensuring high quality public interest law placements.
- And, with nearly 4,500 former PILI Interns and Fellows in our Alumni Network, what begins in law school or just after continues on.
We’ve also taken the initiative to expand and enhance pro bono through our Pro Bono Program established in 1999, and now reaching across the state of Illinois.
- From brief advice and limited scope representation to ongoing representation with a variety of civil legal issues, PILI has assisted 3,587 clients across Illinois with the help of 265 pro bono volunteers who have taken the initiative.
- Through in-person and virtual Continuing Legal Education programming, PILI has provided 22 trainings for 604 attendees.
- PILI partners with the Illinois legal community to fill gaps in the delivery of legal services through innovative projects and pro bono opportunities.
Your support will ensure that we can help more clients in need. “The advice I received today helped tremendously!” one of our recent clients told us. “I was able to appear before the judge to request assistance for my daughter. I’m very, very thankful.” You can also read more about our 45 years of impact here. Will you join us in taking the initiative by making a donation today? Visit www.pili.org/donate to donate.
Thank you for your support; we couldn’t do it without you!
Michael G. Bergmann