Description: Under the leadership and supervision of the Senior Managing Attorney, this is a full-time position that can be based anywhere in Illinois. The Managing Attorney II will serve as a member of PILI’s Programs Team, with responsibility for helping to manage PILI’s statewide efforts to expand and enhance pro bono. This is a dynamic position that requires both the ability to organize and coordinate at a high level, while also being actively engaged in administration and implementation. The ability to do regular and significant statewide travel, and limited national travel, is required.
- Overseeing PILI’s pro bono efforts to expand equal access to justice in Illinois, including:
- Cultivating and sustaining relationships with constituents throughout Illinois to collaborate in achieving PILI’s mission as well as serving as a resource to lawyers, law firms, corporations, law schools and public interest law organizations on matters of public interest law and pro bono; and
- Working with the Programs Team to support PILI’s Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committees and committee projects in coordination with committee membership and leadership.
- Supervising any legal work conducted by volunteers through PILI’s pro bono opportunities, including:
- Expanding the Conflict of Interest Pro Bono Referral Panel to operate in all of the circuits in which PILI is operating a Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committee, including, reviewing client intakes and placing cases with pro bono attorneys;
- Sustaining and growing the Legal Help Within Reach project to bring volunteers from larger population areas to serve clients in rural or underserved communities; and
- Serving as co-state administrator of Illinois Free Legal Answers and assisting in volunteer recruitment, training and support, organizing monthly clinics, community outreach and other responsibilities.
- Traveling regularly, including overnight stays, statewide, and national travel as needed;
- Coordinating and collaborating with the other members of PILI’s Programs Team on programming and projects;
- Assisting in the staffing of relevant committees of PILI’s Board of Directors, and participating in organizational and programmatic strategic planning;
- Representing PILI at local, regional and national conferences, and actively participating in the organized bar on PILI’s behalf; and authoring articles about PILI, its programs and relevant topics;
- Assisting, as needed, in preparation of grant proposals and reports; and
- Performing other duties as assigned by PILI’s Senior Managing Attorney.
- Juris Doctor degree, licensed and authorized to practice law in Illinois with a minimum of 3-6 years of legal practice experience in either legal aid or in the private sector with a significant pro bono practice;
- The ability to regularly travel, and work evenings and weekends as needed;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Self-motivated individual with creative problem solving skills, who can organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively;
- Ability to self-support within a small nonprofit environment and proficiency with technology;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; detail oriented with strong critical thinking and analytical skills;
- Prior supervisory experience with staff and/or volunteers is beneficial; and
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission and work of PILI.
Salary: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $55,000 to $65,000, negotiable based on experience, and including a generous benefits package with employer-paid health insurance and retirement plan.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to PILI at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Managing Attorney II” in the subject line. Please do not send application materials by mail, and no phone or email inquiries. Applicants will be contacted in the event that we wish to further discuss your qualifications.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: At PILI we believe that diversity and inclusion are fundamentally important objectives that make organizations more effective. In our hiring and our work, we support diversity in all of its forms, encompassing but not limited to age, disability status, economic circumstance, ethnicity, gender identity, race, religion and sexual orientation.