Attorney and paralegal volunteers are needed to staff a free legal clinic in Peoria in February and provide one-time advice. Potential clients will need to apply through Prairie State Legal Services ahead of time and will be asking about family law issues, housing issues, debt issues and other civil legal matters.
What volunteers WILL be doing:
- Answering questions and providing information to low-income clients on civil legal matters.
- Working with Prairie State Legal Services staff who can answer any questions.
- Receiving coverage under Prairie State’s malpractice insurance.
- Enjoying free breakfast.
- Providing a meaningful service for people with legal needs who can not afford a lawyer.
- Spending time with local attorneys and paralegals from the Peoria County Bar Association.
What volunteers WILL NOT be doing:
- Taking cases or bringing home work.
- Representing clients in court.
- Working on cases that involve a criminal or traffic violation.
If you are an attorney who would like to volunteer, or a client in the Peoria area who may need services, please contact Prairie State Pro Bono Coordinator Kate Whetstone by email or by phone at 309-674-9831 ext. 4005.