Whether you are visiting Chicago for your Internship or you live here, we want to help you make the most of your time and money. We have collected information for you regarding Chicago summer housing, transportation, discounts to national and local vendors, and Chicago-area events.
Disclaimer: The Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) provides information regarding student discounts and resources in the Chicago area solely for your information. Inclusion on this page does not constitute an endorsement as to the quality of the service or product, or to the habitability of any housing offered through these services. Following any of these links will take you outside of the PILI website, and PILI cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided by this link.
Chicago Housing & Neighborhoods
Popular Apartment Rental Services
- The Apartment People
- Chicago Apartment Finders
- Chicago Craigslist
- Home Scout Realty
- Planned Property
Summer Student Housing Options
- 777 South State
- Buckingham Chicago
- Chicago Summer Housing
- Dwight Lofts Summer Housing
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago Intern Housing
- Student Space
Buses & Trains
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) operates the nation’s second largest public transportation system. On an average weekday, 1.7 million rides are taken on CTA.
Regular bus fares are $2.00 if you have a CTA card, or $2.25 if paying by cash. Train fares are $2.25 and you cannot pay with cash. CTA Ventra cards can be purchased at hundreds of retail locations across the city and can be reloaded at CTA stations. Daily, weekly and monthly passes are also available.
- City of Chicago Biking Information
- Divvy Bike Sharing Program Information, receive $20 off an annual membership fee of $75.
- Car sharing programs include Zipcar and Enterprise CarShare.
- Find a parking spot with SpotHero
- Learn about Chicago parking meters and the ParkChicago app to pay for parking
- Locate a Chicago parking garage
- Use rideshare apps such as Uber or Lyft
Receiving your discounts is easy, and most vendors just need to see your school ID card or offer an online coupon code. However, be sure to read each discount carefully, as they may not apply to everyone or have specific requirements.
Clothing & Retail
- Amazon, 6 month membership to Amazon Prime free for students, 50% off going forward
- Ann Taylor, 15% discount of all full-price items in store and online
- Banana Republic, 15% discount of all full-price items in store
- Best Buy, student deals change regularly
- Eddie Bauer, 15% discount on all items in store
- J Crew, 15% discount in store
- Urban Outfitters, register with Unidays and get a 10% discount
- Apple, discounts of up to $200 on their laptops, and up to $20 on a new iPad
- Microsoft Store for Education, 10% of Microsoft store purchases
- Dell University, student deals change regularly
- Norton, offers student discounts for up to 50% off software and security packages
- Adler Planetarium, $10 student ticket
- AMC Movie Theaters, student prices on Thursdays
- Art Institute of Chicago, $12 student ticket
- Broadway in Chicago, limited number of discounted student tickets
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra, student pricing during concert season
- Goldstar, discounted tickets available to everyone for Chicago shows
- Goodman Theatre, $10 mezzanine tickets are available for students on the day of the performance at 10 am online and at 12 noon at the box office. (They are not available by telephone.) To purchase online use promocode 10TIX. Limit four per student with ID.
- HotTix, ½ price theater tickets to a number of Chicago Theaters
- Peggy Notebart Nature Museum, student price is $7
- Regal City North Stadium in Logan Square, half price Tuesdays for everyone
- Spotify, 50% off a premium membership for students
- Steppenwolf Theater, offers $15 student tickets and ½ price student subscriptions
- South Loop Strength & Conditioning, PILI Interns receive a discounted rate
- Chicago Athletic Clubs, graduate student professional rate is available
- Chicago Neighborhood Festivals
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Movies in the Park
- Museum Days, Chicago Museums provide free days, but please note you may need to show proof of Illinois residency
- Navy Pier
Find out What’s Happening
- Chicago Park District Calendar & Information
- Chicago Metromix
- ChooseChicago.com, Tours and Attractions
- Timeout Chicago
We do our best to keep this list of resources up-to-date for your use. If you have comments, questions or suggestions about the discounts and resources listed above, or if you have recommendations for services or resources to be included, please contact PILI’s Program Manager Brent Page.