The Sangamon County Summit is an opportunity for individuals to receive free legal consultations on their options for criminal records relief. Volunteers will prepare petitions to expunge and/or seal records for eligible participants to file in the appropriate circuit court.
Two opportunities are available for both lawyers and other legal professionals to volunteer. Lawyers are required to attend the applicable trainings while other volunteers are welcome to attend, but are not required.
1. Attorneys are needed to review criminal records in advance of the summit.
Attorneys will be trained on how to analyze records and will be given the opportunity to work on analyzing a case with experienced attorneys assisting them.
- Wednesday, August 28th, noon to 2:00 p.m
- Illinois State Batist Association Bulding, 3085 Stevenson Drive in Springfeld
- Trainers: Sue Simone, Director of Litigation at Land of Lincoln Legal Aid and Daniel Mosher, Assistant State’s Attorney from Sangamon County
- 2.0 hours of CLE credit will be provided, subject to approval.
2. Attorneys and law students are needed to meet with clients at the summit.
- Friday, October 18, 2019 from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Sangamon County Courthouse, Second Floor Board Room
- Trainers: Sue Simone, Director of Litigation at Land of Lincoln Legal Aid, and Daniel Mosher Assistant State’s Attorney from Sangamon County
- 1.0 hours of CLE credit will be provided, subject to approval.
3. Other volunteers are needed to assist during the summit with registration and summit logistics.
These volunteers do not need to be attorneys and no training is required.
This event is sponsored by the Goodwill Career Center, Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, Public Interest Law Initiative, Sangamon County Bar Association and the Sangamon County Circuit Clerk Paul Palazzolo.
Volunteers can register by using the form below. If you have any questions or problems with registration, please contact Rebecca Fernández by email or 312-832-5127.